Saturday, July 19, 2008

Interview with a Vampire

No. Wait. That was a movie.

Interview with JTCC.
The interview and teaching demo went really well. As a matter of fact, one of the first things they talked about was possible open classes for me to teach; even before I did anything. They are leaning towards a pre-calculus class which is right down the road.

The teaching demo went better than expected. The Dean of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Alexander, was there. Apparently she had no idea what my topic was going to be. It was graphing rational functions. I started off with a review of linear functions and was planning to review non-linear quadratics as well to show establish rigorous steps and then add more rigir for the ration functions (I planned out my approach well in advance.)

However, when I was doing linear functions, Dr. Alexander had lots of questions (thinking I had skipped a lot of stuff--not knowing my topic). The way I addressed her questions; in a patient, desciptive way, made it all the better. When she was told this was a review, she apologized, thinking I had skipped a lot of information. However, my approach and patience turned out to be a virtue.

Although I have not interviewd for a job in 18 years, I knew enough to be prepared to answer questions like my teaching philosophy, worst and best things that have happened, mistakes I have made, and so on. I even did the typical preparation of having questions to ask them.

I spent bits of time over several days working on this part, and, other than the teaching demo, none of it was used. Better prepared than not though. The teaching demo appeared to be the main thing they focus on. Each organization is different (I know I have written interview questions for clients and helped them choose who to hire.) By the way, this is good information for anybody thinking of a job (google interview questions or something like that in your field. Research the company. They want to know you know what they do.)

Things look very good. They have one of two classes lined up for me. Although I do not want to petty, I do not know the pay. It is "commensurate with experience." I have lots of experience from High School, College and my business. However, I do not know what they will count. Hopefully it is enough to make what would be a joyful experience worth my time. If not, I may not do it. I'll be positive for now and assume it is worth it and push forward. All the paper work (gobs of it for State Jobs) is done, they have to check references and do a background check, but the wheels have been set in motion and hopefully the wheel will stay on a straight path (a metaphor, obviously).

Who knows where this will lead. I don't. Exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment